Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I've somehow become responsible for some part of our future

I said I didn't want to teach kids. I don't especially like kids. I can like them. I just do not want to like them in general. So when what I thought would be a full-time SAT teaching job turned into a twelve-hours-a-week sixth-grade English class in Rowland/Hacienda Heights, declining the position should have been natural. But I said yes. I was desperate to get away from the place of death mentioned below, and couldn't bear the thought of returning to the hotel having given up the chance to pursue something in my field. Actually, I don't think English majors have a field. We are at least not qualified for anything that resembles paid employment. Except jobs that make you want to kill yourself and/or others.

First I wanted to get away from the Hilton before the end of 2003. Then before summer. Then before my one-year APS anniversary (late July). Now before my birthday, this Saturday. Alas, it seems I have put down roots too deep to faciliate such a prompt (ha) extrication.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers are trying to fall out of first place, and the Rangers will undoubtedly come within a half-game of the playoffs. And now hockey has gone into cryogenic slumber.

It may take me a while to figure out how to make this thing funny, but I'll get there. Keeping it funny and clean enough for a wider audience...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home