Saturday, December 11, 2004

It's more than postage

A stamp is apparently a window to the soul.

Interjection--I am now working at Biola in the campus post office, I love the job, the Hilton is gone forever, and I am generally a happier person than I was in the previous two posts.--Interjection

Often, when people come in to buy a stamp, they ask to see which kinds we have. Admittedly, using fun stamps kind of makes you not care so much that letters now cost thirty-seven cents (fourty-nine if they're square). However, then you get those people who are mailing a grad school application, or resume, or rebate form or whatnot, and suddenly putting a stamp with Simba and Mufassa on the envelope is no more acceptable as using Brush Script font for the resume inside. So they end up choosing clouds, or maybe John Wayne. I have yet to tell these people that most likely a mail clerk on the other end will open the letter and forward the contents on to the correct person sans kiddy stamp. On the other hand, we have a few sheets of Happy Birthday stamps that are fun to give to people when you see they are mailing a Halmark card. I've almost gained hero status a few times.

And then there are those who push the inconsequential envelope way too far. An older gentleman came in Friday and wanted to buy a book of stamps. So I show him his choices, one with Santa ornaments, and one with a Renaissance painting of the Madonna and Child.

"I'll take those, I don't worship the Virgin."

I had to supress a chuckle as I realized he was being no more facetious than pious. Later, a woman came in and asked for non-religious Christmas stamps. So we get upset when courtesy clerks replace "Merry Christmas" with various alternatives, yet we find that the United States Postal Service has somehow taken Christianity above and beyond the spirit of Christmas.

In other news, I went out and bought and decorated a Christmas tree for our apartment today, and it smells great. I don't care if I'll only get to enjoy it for almost two weeks.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Dude, I hate Brush Script!

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I don't know how many times in the last few days I've quoted, "I'll take Santa, I don't worship the Virgin!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home