Monday, January 10, 2005

Pocket Ace

In an effort to jump start my posting, I'm going to go to my pet rant. Easy, yes, but today brought it home.

I hate rain. There is nothing in all of creation that I dislike more strongly than rain. I'm serious. I like earwigs and brussel(s?) sprouts more than rain. Well, I like the sprouts in their own right, but no matter. I have had baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, and all kinds of other games canceled because of rain. I look forward to them for all week, and then one bit of rains wipes them out. My hair does annoying things when it rains. And most recently, what do I work with? Mail. Paper and things wrapped in paper and cardboard. And we're not supposed to let it get wet. Well how the dandyfarking whatisit am I supposed to do that? Ten people died this week because of rain. They died! They're not coming back. A gigantic tree (at least 40 feet tall) toppled in the courtyard of the apartments across the street from us. It broke things and cost people money. Your commute is longer because of rain.

Yet whenever I say "I hate rain," it's like I just dissed people's moms. No, that's not it. It's more like they're sticking up for an abusesive boyfriend/spouse. They like rain as a concept, as something completely separated from the part of their life that they actually live. They don't like driving, working, or doing other necessary things in it, but they love the rain. "He's really a nice guy, he just needs to learn a few things/has a hard time controlling himself/goes a little overboard sometimes, etc." No, you like him when you guys are in the rodeo clown position, and you somehow block out the part where he beats you with a bungie cord. You would like rain if it were somehow something you could experience on like a freaking holodeck. "I'm going to go get rained on now." It is but a shadow and a dream that you love; a shadow that screwed over ten people and they're families this last week. Hope you're happy, assholes. They're not.

5 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Thorgersen said...

What I think is the worst is that the Shadow screwed over ten people who just became families this last week. Of course, you could have been being really clever and it was that they were families this last week and now they are not families, nor are they: they are naught.

Speaking as a self-proclaimed ass, am I also not allowed to love waves at the beach anymore?

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Captain Noj said...

As much as I want to fix that, you've been funny enough to warrant leaving it their.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

"...leaving it their"! You guys crack me up!

I've thought of a million different answers to your last question, Jesse, but none of them are as good as the question itself. I'd ask why you don't comment on my blog but it's pretty clear Tiffin has the monopoly on cleverness.

Oh, and Tiffin, unlike your embarrassing friend Jesse I'm going to intentionally not say something funny about "abusesive" precisely so you don't have to feel obligated to keep it.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Tiffin returns with a bang!

And I sympathize. I'm one of those guys who normally says he likes the rain, but like John, I work in a mail service of sorts. I receive a butt-ton of books every week for the textbook room, and as you can imagine students are very picky about books falling apart in their hands.

Did you guys see those crazy pictures on Drudge? Specifically, the water spout and the GIANT boulder in the middle of the road.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger miller said...

Hey, found your blog via olson's. rain sin't so bad.

Matt Miller

 

Post a Comment

<< Home